CLICK HERE FOR KEY TO SOURCES
1. a pewter dish; also, an earthen platter, 'porringer', or 'pipkin' (see below for definitions) ...1746 Eng. dial.
2. a stiff blow ...1816 rare
3. a fat person ...1863 Eng. dial.
4. a cudgel ...L19 Irish sl.
5. any of various tools having the form of a short bar ...B1900
PORRINGER - a coarse pot or mug, generally of earthenware, used for porridge, broth, etc.
PIPKIN - a glazed earthenware vessel; a glazed saucepan, whether earthenware or metal
From: An Exmoor Scolding
In the Propriety and Decency of Exmoor Language, Between Two Sisters,
Wilmot Moreman and and Thomasin Moreman, as they were Spinning
Bout the Second. P. 12