also HOOK AND SNIVEY, HOOKEM-SNIVVY, HOOKUM-SNIVEY
1. deceitful, tricky, sly ...1892 Eng. dial.
2. avaricious, greedy ...Bk1942 Amer. sl.
1. deceit, trickery, imposture ...B1900 Eng. dial.
2. one who pretends sickness, calamity, etc., in the streets,
in order to excite compassion and charity ...B1900 Scot. sl.
3. a contrivance for undoing the bolt of a door
from the outside ...B1900 Eng
Note: ED-EDD also has an entry for HOOK-EM-SNIVEY - an indescribable, though simple, machine, employed by boys
in playing at head and harp. (Ireland)
(Edgeworth Irish Bulls (1803)
By Eden Phillpotts, 1896
Brake Fern Weir