Daily Word Quiz
a) insincere compliments; flattery
b) a stupid fellow, a fool
c) spirit, enthusiasm
d) an old lean cow or horse
Today's Featured Word
also: LINDGE, LINCH, LINSE
pliable, as new leather ...Bk1902 Eng. dial.
1. to beat severely, to thrash, to flog ...1600 obs. exc. Eng. dial.
2. to lounge...1892 Eng. dial.
3. to work so violently as to cause exhaustion ...Bk1902 Eng. dial.
4. to lunge ...Bk1902 Northern Ireland
5. to stick out the tongue ...Bk1902 Eng. dial.
of obscure origin
FIRST DOCUMENTED USE
1600 - see EXAMPLE below
"...Met he with a soldior out of his ranke and file? If he were a Roman,
up he went and he was well lindged and swaddled with
vine-wands by the centurion."
From: Livy's Romane Historie
Translated By: Philemon Holland, 1600
Daily Word Quiz Answer
b) a stupid fellow, a fool ...c1400 obs