1. corpulent, obese, stout; round in the belly ...1844 colloq.
2. drunk ...B1900 colloq.
1. a farmer ...1831 Eng. dial. ?obs.
2. a bottle of alcohol ...L19 Aust. sl.
3. a hand-fed calf ...B1900 Aust.
4. a child's shoe ...B1900 Eng. dial.
from pod (n.) + -y
FIRST DOCUMENTED USE
1844 - Letters and Literary Remains, Edward Fitzgerald; see below
(as per E-NED and the Historical Thesaurus of English;
earlier example (1823) shown in the Example below)
From: Suffolk Words and Phrases:
Or, An Attempt to Collect the Lingual Localisms of that County.
By Edward Moor, 1823
From: Letters and Literary Remains of Edward Fitzgerald
Edited by William Aldis Wright
Volume I, 1889
To Bernard Barton, Geldestone, 22 August, 1844