CLICK HERE FOR KEY TO SOURCES
1. a small sack or bag ...c1440 obs. exc. Eng. dial.
2. a sorry-looking, broken-down animal ...1844 Sc.
3. a term of abuse; a scamp, a rascal, a pert, impudent person
...1853 Sc.& Eng. dial.
4. a short dumpy person ...1889 Sc. & Eng. dial.
5. a determined little fellow ...1889 Sc. & Eng. dial.
6. a stupid person or animal ...1889 Sc. & Eng. dial.
from Old French saquet, diminutive of sac sack (n.)
From: A Window in Thrums
By J.M. Barrie, 1898
Chapter XXI. Jess Left Alone