a) one who fears crowded spaces
b) one who dreads intimacy
c) one who fears being buried alive
d) one who has a dread of the Irish
Today's Featured Word
1. bold, daring, courageous, brave, hardy ...c1200 obs
2. painful, grievous; terrible, dreadful, cruel ...a1225 obs.
3. troublesome, hard, difficult ...a1225 obs.
4. in a bad sense: bold, audacious, daringly wicked ...a1300 obs.
5. strong, sturdy, stout, robust ...c1340 obs.
6. vigorous, forcible, violent ...c1440 obs.
7. of things: hard, rough ...1804 Sc.
8. unbending in manner, sullen ...1808 Sc.
grievously, terribly ...c1325 obs.
trouble, adversity, tribulation, hurt, suffering ...c1205 obs.
adj. apparently from Old Norse djarfr, bold, daring,
n. apparently shortened from Old English gedeorf labour,
trouble, tribulation, from deorfan to labour
FIRST DOCUMENTED USE
c1200 - see EXAMPLE below
"...Forr whatt he nass nohht derrf inoh
All opennliȝ to sekenn..."
From: The Ormulum
By: A monk named Orm, or Ormin
Daily Word Quiz Answer
d) one who has a dread of the Irish ...1889 nonce word