a) an old maid
b) a hedgehog
c) a harmless incompetent in public office
d) a monstrous lie
Today's Featured Word: AWKLY
untoward, perverse ...1556 obs.
1. in the wrong direction, backhanded or left-handed wise;
hence, sinisterly, unluckily ...c1440 obs.
2. perversely, untowardly ...c1440 obs.
3. inauspiciously ...1565 obs.
4. in ungainly fashion, clumsily, awkwardly ...1603 obs.
from awk (adj.) + -ly
FIRST DOCUMENTED USE
Awkly or wrongly, sinistre
From: Promptorium Parvulorum, c1440
EXAMPLE (for adv. 1)
"...They (the Egyptians) write their letters awkelie (i.e. from right to left)."
From: The Abridgment of the Histories of Trogus Pompeius,
Collected and Wrytten in the Laten Tonge
By: the famous historiographer Iustine
Translated into English by: Arthur Goldyng, 1564
• A New English Dictionary on Historical Principles, James Murray, 1887-1933
Daily Word Quiz Answer
THORN-BACK a) an old maid ...17C Brit. sl.